Sunday, October 28, 2012

Values of Life

Yet another October, my blog is now 4 years old.

There's been a lot of thought recently but I don't know what and how to write, perhaps too unorganized. Life has been pretty enjoyable. I remember telling a few friends and also my mum that I'm not aiming to be rich in my life, I am aware how important money is, but I'm not going to work for money. And guess what, within few weeks I kind of regret saying that HAHAHA. It's like the kind of lesson that God or someone wants me to learn. I start finding I need and do not have money in order to do a lot of things, especially we're planning a trip to Norway and Switzerland, and everything is about money, money and money. Really? Life do you have to do this to me?!

I just thought I want to lead a contented life through helping people in needs, and here I'm referring to people who need help psychologically or mentally. I suppose when people see no point of me leaving the country and go home (to, erhmm, survive with a rm2k salary, traffic jams, crimes, corrupted government, etc etc) as opposed to the kind of freedom, all physically, psychologically and financially that I have here. But really I see no point of being a health care assistant in a forensic service for any time longer that I've done so far, it really isn't fulfilling... I think I have far more potential to help people than what I do now. And I think I've been a lucky person all my life so maybe I can share some fortune with the unfortunates too?

Ah anyway, we'll soon see where the life leads me. Yesterday I read the final words of this 40 years old Singaporean billionaire who suffered from lung cancer and passed away about 10 days ago. I think I'm right. I somehow feel grateful that I haven't been adopting the definition of success and values of the society nowadays. There must be times that we're lost, but do some reflection every day, just 5 minutes or even less, sit down and close your eyes, and think about how you've been doing today, and whether that's really the kind of life you want to lead, if you only had a month life left, and whether this is the kind of life you want to lead, if you look back 20 years later and see no regrets.

"Everyone knows that they are going to die; every one of us knows that. The truth is, none of us believe it because if we did, we will do things differently. When I faced death, when I had to, I stripped myself off all stuff totally and I focused only on what is essential. The irony is that a lot of times, only when we learn how to die then we learn how to live."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you chinky should go back to china.

huibee said...

I'm not from China (though my granddad was), but don't worry, I don't quite like your country either. If all the Asians were to leave, this country is going to rot! Haha

Vivian Tan said...

I was thinking about what i had been doing in this far isolated 'heaven'....life is not easy aye....thanks for writting this, is really important to discover what can we do for life, and what life really means for us...

huibee said...

I suppose sometimes people see it as heaven, but those in the heaven do not view it that way? Haha. But we've been away for too long, I think we need to go back to "hell" (XD) to come to realize whether which one was the real heaven and which was the real hell?! It probably also all depends on what we value the most... I will share my experience as the time comes! :)

Glad to know my blog still got reader like you!

Vivian Tan said...

yea...I also struggling right now....Haha, I always follow yr blog tho. =P

I also consider go back for good now....well perhaps it can be hell, but that's my sweet home. =)

huibee said...

Hahaha 知音! XD that's what I meant.. it could be hell in others' eyes but not in ours coz maybe what we treasure/value most is there..

EngLee said...

"You should regard money as fuel for what you really want to do, not as a goal in and of itself. Money is like gas in the car — you need to pay attention or you’ll end up on the side of the road — but a well-lived life is not a tour of gas stations!" -Tim O’Reilly

huibee said...

I do agree. All these years I learnt the importance of money, at the same time knowing if I were to die now I'm not regretting because I do always try to live it truly. :D Thanks for the quote, should stick it at somewhere obvious when I get home maybe. Haha

Post a Comment