Friday, February 03, 2012

When you become a Psychologist

I have become a Psychologist a few years now, although I don't really see too much difference in myself but I slowly realized how people see me differently..

Another day I was talking to a psychologist-wanna-be, we were just talking about a guy she likes etc, then towards the end she claimed that she can see how "professionally" I formed my questions and she was suitably impressed. I was a bit surprised because I really thought we were just having some girls talk, quite casually although I certainly concern about how she feels. So I explained to her there was nothing psychology related..

When you complete a psychology degree people somehow see you differently, it is like you can never have girls talks or chat normally any more, because people will keep be reminded that they are taking to a psychologist, not a friend. But they forget that I can be a psychologist, a friend, and also a psychologist friend, or, just huibee.

Sometimes they really want to consult about something, for example a cousin who seems to be autistic, an uncle who has severe sleep disturbance, or just basically themselves having insomnia. At this point its okay you try your best to say what you know and think can help..

But at other times, they talk about their problems, so you listen and try to comfort like any friends will do, they then start becoming annoyed, wondering or even asking cant you just behave like a normal friend but not talk like a psychologist as if they need psychological helps! Well, in fact there isn't such thing (the psychologist-style-talk), it's all in their mind, their own illusion! All this time huibee is still huibee, the way I talk doesn't change much, in fact I still say what I want to say!

I know this sounds quite nonsense. But I face this situation quite often, especially to friends that I newly come across "wow psychology! I better watch what I say", "wow psychology? do me!" (DO WHAT?!).. or worse, they just take it and bear in mind subsconsciously and we carry on to talk, then towards the end they suddenly say "so that's what you think as a psychologist", "so that's how psychologist xxx", wrong wrong wrong! thats what I think being myself...

Now even worse, even myself start getting that illusion. When friends come to tell me s/he having insomnia, I start to wonder what s/he is expecting.. a psychologist's advice? (err I dont know! I can only use general knowledge..) or a friend's comfort? or just a listener?!

*Confused*


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello,

Nice Post has been shared here. thanks for sharing such post. it was fun reading your this post and also did get lots of good information from here. it would be nice if you can share some information related to psychologist in sydney here in your articles in future.

Thanks,

Unknown said...

I would like to say thanks for your sharing this useful information. Nice post keep it up. Hope to see you next post again soon.
With Regards, Clinical Psychologist | Clinical Psychologist in Sydney

Post a Comment